L101623 APHON - Solid Tumors and Oncology Supportive Treatments
Please join us for one, two or all three days of the APHON course!
This course is designed to give participants an overview of nursing practice matters in caring for children, adolescents, and young adults with cancer and blood disorders. Common pediatric hematological and oncological diseases are presented, along with the clinical nurse's role in implementing treatment approaches. Supportive care principles are also introduced.
APRNs and Nurses
- Nurses involved in hematology/oncology patient care will identify different types of solid tumor diagnoses, treatment strategies, diagnostic criteria and key components of nursing care
- Nurses will describe different treatment modalities used to treat hematology/oncology patients and will identify management of treatment side effects
- Nurses will identify late effects associated with treatment for cancer in childhood and will be able to educate families regarding these late effects
October 16, 2023 - Solid Tumors and Oncology Supportive Treatments
|8:00 a.m.||Welcome/Introduction||Tanya Nienow, MN, RN, CPN|
|8:05 a.m.||CNS Tumors||Allison Galkowski, DNP, APRN, CNP|
|9:20 a.m.||Neuroblastoma||Teresa Herriage, DNP, APRN, CPHON|
|10:30 a.m.||Solid Tumors||Teresa Herriage, DNP, APRN, CPHON|
|12:00 p.m.||Lunch (bring your own lunch)|
|12:30 p.m.||Radiation Therapy||Allison Galkowski, DNP, APRN, CNP|
|1:30 p.m.||Transplant||Julia Gourde, APRN, CNP|
|2:45 p.m.||Palliative Care||Erin Morhack, MSN, APRN, ACCNS-P|
|3:30 p.m.||Fertility/AYA||Mary Langevin, APRN, CNP, CPON|
|4:25 p.m.||Evaluations and Wrap-up||Tanya Nienow, MN, RN, CPN|
The course will be held in the Children's Specialty Center conference room G053.
In support of improving patient care, Children’s Minnesota is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Children’s Minnesota takes responsibility for the content, quality and scientific interest of its accredited continuing education events.
Children's Minnesota designates this enduring activity for a maximum of 7.5 ANCC nursing contact hour. Nurses should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 7.50 ANCC
You can register for one, two, or all three sessions of the APHON course. Please make sure to register for each individual session you choose to attend.
Please make sure to click the TAKE COURSE button to complete your registration for this event.
To add this event to your calendar, please follow these steps:
- Open your confirmation email from this course
- Click the add to calendar link (this will download the .ics file to your computer)
- Open your Outlook calendar
- Select "Add calendar" from the left pane just above My Calendars
- Select "Upload from file" in the Add calendar window.
- Select Browse, go to your Downloads folder and select the .ics file.
- Select the Calendar you want the appointment to show up in, typically Calendar and then select Import.
There is no fee for this course.